Sailboat Rentals and Bareboat Charters and on San Francisco Bay
Are you looking for a bareboat sailboat rental on San Francisco Bay? Look no further. At Modern Sailing School & Club, we have a robust fleet of sailboats and catamarans available for charter within the waters of San Francisco Bay. Yachts range from 30 to 44 feet in length and are expertly maintained by our experienced and skilled fleet technicians. Yacht charters are available year-round with the option of a bareboat charter or skippered charter.
Our Silver Fleet is the largest fleet of Catalina 30s and 320s in the Bay Area. A dependable and spacious yacht, the Catalina 30 was a popular design that launched in the late 1980s. Our Catalina 30 fleet is used for private and group sailing lessons all year long, rain or shine. Larger than the Catalina 30, the Catalina 320 has a sporty racer/cruiser design that delivers both sailing performance and spaciousness below deck. These yachts are perfect for a day or evening sail on the SF Bay with your closest crew.
Club members can rent sailboats in the Silver Fleet after successfully completing a Skills Checkout on any size vessel or by completing the ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising course at Modern Sailing. Hire a captain for a Skippered Sail to enjoy the bay if you are not a Modern Sailing club member.
Our Gold Fleet consists of Beneteau, Jeanneau, and Catalina yachts ranging from 35 - 37 ft. long. Enjoy a luxurious sail with the modern amenities that these yachts are renowned for. Conveniently rigged, these yachts feature stack-packs, in-mast furling, dutch reefing systems, and dodgers. The interiors of our Gold Fleet sailboats astound with sleek designs, spacious galleys, and comfy berths. Gold Fleet yachts are popular for day sails and overnight charters at Angel Island, Paradise Cove, and Jack London Square.
Experience all that the SF Bay has to offer in style. Complete with all the amenities needed for simple, comfortable sailing, these Jeanneau, Beneteau, Fountaine Pajot, and Seawind yachts will complete your bay sailing experience. Sized 37 to 40 feet in length, their spacious designs can accommodate 6-8 guests overnight with room to spare.
Pricing is tiered and varies according to vessel size and age.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, only Full Day [9:00am - 8:00am the next day] reservation types are available. (Prime Time [9:00am - 3:30pm] and Sunset [4:00 - 8:00pm] reservations are currently unavailable.) Winter Rates will take effect on December 1, 2020. Summer Rates will resume on March 1, 2021. Please visit our COVID-19 Safety and Programs Status page for more information.
Bareboat charters are available for members only who have successfully completed the required ASA Certification Courses or have undergone a successful Skills Checkout.
New members who are beginners can gain access to our fleet by completing ASA Certification Courses at Modern Sailing:
- Completion of ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising certifies new sailors to charter Silver Fleet (30’ – 32’).
- ASA 103 graduates who have skippered 4 on-the-water days (4 or more hours each) can qualify to charter the Gold Fleet by completing the Gold Fleet Upgrade Clinic.
- Completion of ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising certifies sailors to charter Silver, Gold (33’ – 37’), and Platinum (37’ – 44’) Fleets.
- To charter catamarans, completion of ASA 114, Cruising Catamaran is required.
- If joining the club within 3 years after completing ASA 103 or above at Modern Sailing, a Skills Check-out is not required.
- If rejoining the club within 3 years from the last charter, a Skills Check-out is not required.
- Experienced sailors joining the club are not required to possess certifications, but must submit a sailing resume and successfully complete a Skills Check-out with one of our instructors.
Click here to explore yacht charters on San Francisco Bay.
For more information, contact us. We would be happy to answer any questions that you have about membership and chartering.