Pay less to play more!
Modern Sailing is excited to offer a membership program to make it easier for you to enjoy sailing more frequently – our Unlimited Sailing Sportboat Membership! Pay no additional cost when you charter our Berkeley location's sportboats – as often as you want.
If sailing regularly is one of your favorite ways to enjoy an active lifestyle in the great outdoors, this program is for you.
Sportboat charter rates currently range from $150 (1/2 Day Weekday) to $260 (Full Day Weekend). When you charter a sport boat for a full day on a weekend at least once a month as an Unlimited Sailing Sportboat club member, you receive an outstanding value for your membership. The more often you sail, the greater the value!
Unlimited Sailing Sportboat Membership – How It Works
What are the costs involved?
- Membership Initiation = $500
- There is no initiation fee for existing members to convert to the Unlimited Sailing Sportboat plan. The $500 initiation fee applies to incoming new members only.
- Monthly Dues
- Individual: $270
- Partners: $350
What vessels can you sail?
Members can charter all vessels for which they are certified. To qualify to charter from the Sportboat Fleet, members must complete the ASA 101, Sportboat Basic Keelboat Sailing course in Berkeley, take a Upgrade to Sportboat Fleet Clinic, or complete a Fleet Certification Checkout Sail. Our Berkeley location also offers a selection of Silver and Gold Fleet cruising boats.
Learn more about how to get certified to charter from the various fleet levels.
What do you pay to sail?
- All uses of vessels in the Sportboat Fleet are included in your membership fee.
- For any uses of vessels outside of the Sportboat Fleet, (Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Catamaran Fleets), members pay the usual charter rate for the specific vessel chartered. Special discounts are available for multi-day charters (2 consecutive days = 10% discount; 3 or more consecutive days = 15%).
What is the difference between Individual and Partner memberships?
With a partner membership, each member in the partnership can charter independently. Each partner can hold up to 3 future charter reservations at a time.
For Comparison – Classic Membership Program Highlights
- Membership Initiation = $500
- Monthly Dues
- Individual Membership Single Site: $50
- Partners Membership Single Site: $65
What vessels can you sail with a Classic Membership?
Members can charter all vessels for which they are certified.
What do you pay to sail with a Classic Membership?
- Members pay the regular rate for the specific vessel chartered. Special discounts are available for multi-day charters (2 consecutive days = 10% discount; 3+ consecutive days = 15%).
- Each member or partner member can hold up to 3 future charter reservations.
Unlimited Sailing Sportboat Membership Program Details
How many bookings can I make?
All members (Classic and Unlimited Sailing Sportboat) can hold a maximum of 3 future charter reservations.
Are there any black-out dates?
No. All days are open to both Classic and Unlimited Sailing memberships, except for regularly scheduled holiday closures.
Do Unlimited Sailing members get priority over classic members?
Classic and Unlimited Sailing reservation requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
What if I need to cancel a reservation?
If you need to cancel a reservation, please notify our office 72 hours or more in advance of your reservation. When cancelling with less than 72 hours’ notice, Classic and Unlimited Sailing members pay a late cancellation fee that is 50% of the boat’s charter rate. (The late cancellation window is 24 hours in the winter months).
What if I can’t book a boat because there are never any available?
Modern Sailing is limiting the number of Unlimited Sailing memberships based on the size of the Sportboat Fleet. If there is extended period of no availability for bookings, there will be an active effort to increase the number of boats in the Sportboat Fleet.
What kind of commitment is involved with the Unlimited Sailing Sportboat Membership?
A 6-month contract is required. Early termination fees of $250 will apply if you wish to cancel the membership before the contact end date.
Additional Program FAQs
What vessels are in the Sportboat Fleet?
Our Berkeley location currently has 11 vessels in the Sportboat Fleet. Ten of these are J/24s and one is a J/80. Visit our Boats & Rates page to see more information and photos about these boats.
How do I know which membership type is right for me?
- The Unlimited Sailing membership is the equivalent of the Classic monthly membership plus one J/24 Full Day Weekend charter per month. If you think you will charter at least once a month this membership is a perfect fit!
- Unlimited Sailing is great for recent ASA 103, Sportboat Basic Coastal Cruising graduates who are building their experience to prepare for ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising. Remember that you will need to complete a Upgrade to Sportboat Fleet Clinic or Checkout Sail at Inspire Sailing to get certified to charter the <30 sport boats.
- Unlimited Sailing is ideal for members who want to frequently take friends out without worrying about the cost of the charter - it’s already paid for!
- The Unlimited Sailing membership is perfect for the “spontaneous sailor” or those of us with unpredictable schedules… because, again, the cost of chartering is already paid for!
How do I get started with an Unlimited Sailing Sportboat Membership?
Contact our Customer Service team at either location. We're happy to answer any questions you may have and handle the conversion of your membership to Unlimited Sailing.