Are you an ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising certified sailor looking forward to ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising?
To prepare for the challenge of ASA 104, Modern Sailing students are required to complete six on-the-water days as a skipper, co-skipper, or student. Here are four ways to acquire your 6 on-the-water days:
1. Charter as the Skipper on Record
A bareboat charter in your name of 4 or more hours in duration (including Weekday Sunset charters) will count as an on-the-water day towards your ASA 104 prerequisite. (Club membership is required to charter.)
Are you chartering for the first time? Here are three articles you may find helpful:
- Your First Charter: 5 Essential Resources for New MSC Skippers
- How to Book a Boat Online
- Choosing the Right Boat for Your Charter
2. Co-Skipper with an MSC Club Member
You can credit up to three on-the-water days towards your ASA 104 prerequisite as a co-skipper with an MSC club member. Please be sure to inform the front desk so we can track it. Learn more about co-skippering here: What Is a "Co-Skipper?"
3. Receive a Private Lesson
When you spend 4 or more hours aboard with one of our instructors, this counts as on-the-water day towards your ASA 104 prerequisite. Considering a Private Lesson? Discover 5 Reasons to Take Private Sailing Lessons on SF Bay.
4. Complete an MSC Sailing Clinic
ASA 103-certified sailors are eligible to join the following clinics:
- ASA 118, Docking Endorsement
- Mastering Sail Trim
- Light Wind Sailing Techniques
- Mastering Asymmetrical Spinnaker for Cruisers
- Silver Fleet Refresher
- The Recreational Race Clinic counts as 3 on-the-water days. We hold only 2 to 3 Race Clinics per year, so be sure to check the Schedule to plan ahead.
- Gold Fleet Upgrade Clinic - Want to charter bigger boats before taking ASA 104? After completing 4 Silver Fleet charters (as skipper and/or co-skipper), you are eligible to take the Gold Fleet Upgrade Clinic. This clinic qualifies you to charter boats in our Gold Fleet (33 - 37' LOA) and also counts as two on-the-water days to complete your ASA 104 prerequisite. We hold only a few of these clinics every year, so be sure to check the Schedule. (Hint: the only Upgrade Clinic on the schedule at the time of this article's publication is May 8, 2021!)
Your participation in any MSC Recreational Race (following completion of the Recreational Race Clinic) counts as 1 on-the-water day per race.
6. Skipper a Privately Owned Boat
Do you own a sailboat, or know someone who does? When you skipper a sail aboard a privately owned boat, we'll give you credit when you provide us with a detailed Sailing Resume. Please let us know the dates and locations of your skipper days, boat name(s), length, and owner's name. If the owner is someone besides yourself, please provide the owner's contact information for verification purposes.
Do you have any questions about the ASA 104 prerequisite? Please reach out to our friendly office team by phone at (415) 331-8250 or send us an email. We're happy to help!