Are you an ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising certified sailor looking forward to ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising?
After completing ASA 103, Modern Sailing students are required to complete six on-the-water days as a skipper, co-skipper, or student to prepare for the challenge of ASA 104.
Below are six ways to fulfil the prerequisite:
1. Charter as the Skipper on Record
NOTE: 3 of your 6 on-the-water days must be as the skipper on record. A bareboat charter in your name (including a Midweek Sunset charter) will count as an on-the-water day towards your ASA 104 prerequisite. (Club membership is required to charter.)
Are you chartering for the first time? Here are five articles you may find helpful:
- Your First Charter: 5 Essential Resources for New MSC Skippers
- How to Book a Boat Online
- Choosing the Right Boat for Your Charter
- Handling Emergencies Part I: The Predeparture Safety Check
- The Crew Briefing - an Essential Pre-sail Safety Practice
2. Co-Skipper with a Modern Club Member
You can credit up to three on-the-water days towards your ASA 104 prerequisite as a co-skipper with an MSC club member. Please be sure to inform the front desk so we can track it. Learn more about co-skippering here: What Is a "Co-Skipper?"
3. Receive a Private Lesson
When you spend 3 or more hours aboard with one of our instructors, this counts as 1 on-the-water day towards your ASA 104 prerequisite. Considering a Private Lesson? Discover 5 Reasons to Take Private Sailing Lessons on SF Bay.
4. Complete a Sailing Clinic
ASA 103-certified sailors are eligible to join the following clinics, each of which will count as 1 on-the-water day:
- ASA 118, Docking Endorsement
- Site Orientation Sail
- Silver Development Clinic
- Advanced Sail Trim
- Gold Fleet Upgrade Clinic - Want to charter bigger boats before taking ASA 104? After completing 4 Silver Fleet charters (as skipper and/or co-skipper), you are eligible to take the Gold Fleet Upgrade Clinic. This clinic qualifies you to charter boats in our Gold Fleet (33 - 37' LOA) and also counts as two on-the-water days to complete your ASA 104 prerequisite. We hold only a few of these clinics every year, so be sure to check the Schedule.
- The Platinum Docking and Manuevering Clinic - This clinic is an excellent compliment to the Gold Fleet Upgrade Clinic.
Your participation in a Racing Clinic counts as two on-the-water days.
6. Skipper a Privately Owned Boat
Do you own a sailboat, or know someone who does? When you skipper a sail aboard a privately-owned boat, we'll give you credit when you provide us with a detailed Sailing Resume. Please let us know the dates and locations of your skipper days, boat name(s), boat length, and owner's name. If the owner is someone besides yourself, please provide the owner's contact information for verification purposes. We'll give you credit for these on-the-water days when you provide us with an approved detailed Sailing Resume.
Do you have any questions about the ASA 104 prerequisite? Please reach out to our friendly office team by phone at (415) 331-8250 or send us an email. We're happy to help!