Modern Sailing School & Club offers four different training courses to meet your needs and fit your experience and goals: OUPV, 100 Ton Master License, 100 Ton Master Upgrade, and the USCG Sailing Endorsement. We hold courses two to three times yearly. Typically, spring courses are on weekdays and fall classes are on weekday evenings and weekends.
Learn about the benefits of taking USCG Captain's License courses at Modern Sailing and the requirements for each type of license here: US Coast Guard Courses for Captain's License.
OUPV (Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel)
The OUPV course (also known as the Six Pack License) prepares you to meet the qualification requirements for a US Coast Guard OUPV License. The OUPV License allows you to take up to 6 passengers for hire on an uninspected vessel.
Members $1095 / Non-members $1295
100 Ton Master License
This course prepares you to meet the qualification requirements for a US Coast Guard Masters License in Near Coastal waters. The Master License is awarded in 3 different tonnage categories: 25, 50 and 100 tons. The 100 Ton credential allows you to operate USCG-inspected commercial vessels.
Members $1295 / Non-Members $1495
100 Ton Master Upgrade
This course prepares licensed captains to meet the qualification requirements for a US Coast Guard 100 Ton Master License in Near Coastal waters. The Master License is awarded in 3 different tonnage categories: 25, 50 and 100 tons. The 100 Ton credential allows you to operate USCG-inspected commercial vessels.
Members $895 / Non-Members $995
USCG Sailing Endorsement
This one-day course will review your sailing skills and administer the exam to receive your Sailing Endorsement.
Members $225 / Non-Members $295
Required Textbooks and Tools
The following textbooks and tools are required and are not included with the purchase of your course. All are available on Amazon, most other online booksellers, and/or your local marine supply store.
- Chapman Piloting and Seamanship (68th Edition) - please review before class.
- Homeland Security / US Coast Guard Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook - please review before class.
- Annapolis Book of Seamanship by John Rousmaniere - not required by highly recommended reading.
- Please be sure to bring your navigation tools with you to class - i.e., divider, parallel ruler and/or rolling plotter, pencil(s), eraser, and magnifying glass, if needed.
The 100 Ton Masters course material and class dates overlap both the OUPV and 100 Ton Upgrade. They are combined and taught concurrently in a single classroom.
UPCOMING CLASS DATES
(Weekday Daytime Classes)
OUPV Students (9-day course, 9:00am - 5:00pm)
100 Ton Master Students (12-day course, 9:00am - 5:00pm)
100 Ton Master Upgrade Students (5-day course, 9:00am - 5:00pm)
Sailing Endorsement (1-day course, 9:00am -5:00pm)
USCG COURSES CANCELLATION POLICY
In order to guarantee class dates for our students, we adhere to a strict cancellation/rescheduling policy:
- Cancellation with 30 or more days before class begins: refund less 50%
- Cancellation with less than 30 days before class begins: no refund
- Rescheduling with 30 or more days before class begins: $200 charge
- Rescheduling with less than 30 days before class begins: 50% of tuition
- Once class begins, there are no refunds for cancellations or rescheduling.
Ready to sign up? To get started, call our friendly office team at (415) 331-8250 or send us an email.