Our American Sailing Association certified ASA 101, and ASA 103 combination course is a five-day intensive program ideal for novices with minimal sailing skills and those returning after an extended amount of time who want an in-depth refresher course and rapid certifications. At the end of the fast-track, students will have the skills necessary to safely and confidently charter sailboats in our Silver Fleet and the home waters of San Francisco Bay.
ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing
The first days of the combo course focus on to ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing, and fundamental sailing concepts. Students will build a solid foundation of sailing knowledge and learn the following:
- Sailing terminology and its applications
- Essential knots and line handling
- Points of sail and corresponding sail trim
- Knowledge of national boating laws and safety requirements, a.k.a. “Rules of the Road”
- Introduction to docking and boat handling
- Safety and seamanship
ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising
The latter half of the course focuses on the ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising curriculum. While building on local San Francisco Bay knowledge, students will refine their newly acquired know-how while expanding on and improving these skills. Topics of instruction include:
- Close quarters maneuvering under power
- Man overboard and recovery procedures
- Sail reefing at the dock, underway, and while in a hove-to
- Correcting sail trim for weather helm
- Tide and current analysis
- Introduction to chart navigation
US Coast Guard Captains, who are American Sailing Association certified instructors, teach all of our sailing courses. Classes consist of classroom lectures accompanied by hands-on training. Class size is limited to 4 students. Upon successful completion of this combination course, students who are also Modern Sailing Club members are eligible to charter our Silver Fleet sailboats (30 - 32’).
There are three ways to sign up for this course - by phone (415) 331-8250, email, or by clicking the link below.