Are you ready to become a sailing instructor?
1. Are you at least 18 years of age?
2. Do you have three or more years of sailing experience?
3. Do you have teaching experience or enjoy teaching family or friends how to sail?
4. Are you a current ASA member, or willing to become an ASA member?
5. Do you hold an ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing Certificate; or are you able to complete an ASA 101 course before the ASA 201 Clinic?
If you are able to respond "yes" to all of the questions above, you're ready to become an ASA Instructor!
Your first step is to apply to for the ASA 201, Basic Keelboat Instructor Qualification Clinic. Download and print the ASA-107A Instructor Application, then email your completed form to email@example.com. Questions about the clinic or application process? Email us or call our office at (415) 331-8250.
ASA 201 Certification requires the Instructor Candidate to pass several written and oral examinations and pass an on-the-water skills evaluation by a certified ASA Instructor Evaluator. When the Candidate is successful, the Instructor Evaluator signs the certification page in the Candidate's log book and the ASA issues the certification stickers by mail.
NOTE: Even though you can earn your ASA Instructor Certificate without holding a US Merchant Marine Credential (captain's license), you will not be eligible to work as an instructor on US federal waters without credentials/licensure.