Learn to Sail
Join the ranks of a world-wide community when you learn to sail! Whatever your goals are, to learn a new sport, to travel, explore uncharted territory, cruise, race or to simply enjoy the water, we’ll help you master the necessary skills. Modern Sailing School & Club teaches to the American Sailing Association’s (ASA) keelboat standards and is a three-time winner of ASA’s Outstanding School of the Year award. Many of our students have gone on to skipper our Club Sails, charter internationally, buy their own boats, circumnavigate the globe, earn their Captain’s license, and even became instructors themselves. Our ASA courses are taught by USCG Captains who are certified ASA Instructors.
American Sailing Association Affiliate
The American Sailing Association was founded in 1983 and standardized sailing education in the United States. With the mission to “help people sail safely and confidently,” ASA offers eight levels of certification with 11 courses and 4 endorsements that are globally recognized by sailing schools and charter companies worldwide. Of those courses, Modern Sailing School offers:
- ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing
- ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising
- ASA 101/103, Basic Keelboat Sailing / Basic Coastal Cruising Combination Course
- ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising
- ASA 104/114, Bareboat Cruising / Catamaran Cruising Combination Course
- ASA 105, Coastal Navigation
- ASA 105/106, Coastal Navigation / Advanced Coastal Cruising Combination Course
- ASA 106, Advanced Coastal Cruising
- ASA 107, Celestial Navigation
- ASA 114, Cruising Catamaran
- ASA 118, Docking Endorsement
- ASA Courses available online through the ASA and Starpath
Learning to Sail on San Francisco Bay
The San Francisco Bay is a world-renowned sailing destination. With 25 knots of wind on a regular basis, strong currents, and heavy shipping traffic, the Bay provides the perfect environment for learning to sail. As the saying goes “if you can sail in San Francisco, you can sail anywhere in the world.” Take the helm, hoist the sails, and join the Bay Area's sailing community today.
How far do you wish to go? Call or email our office with your questions. Click the links below to view course details and schedule.